Sunday, May 31, 2009

Grand Tour de Kansas City

Saturday was spent doing two things: exploring the West Bottoms and going on a grand tour with Halliday and Joe.

During the day, nothing much goes on in the West Bottoms, or at least nothing goes on outside. It's so hot I can't blame anyone. There aren't any trees and the only refuge from the heat is in the shelter of the warehouses. I think the optimal time to run around here is probably at dawn and sunset, I'll do the latter tonight, maybe I can borrow someone's bike. The riding around here would be great.

The grand tour included all the major highlights of Kansas City. KC is far more interesting than I could have anticipated. It is a happening city, and I guess I should have known that due to how large it is. All cities have a counter culture worth looking into, Kansas City's just happens to be right up my alley. Then again; it could be my hosts. Halliday and Joe seem to know a large group of people. Everyone we ran into I was introduced and there is no possible way I could remember all their names, but everyone was friendly, I even met a guy who went to PNCA.

A few highlights of the tour included:
- Westport, trail head for the Santa Fe Trail, and home to the oldest remaining building in KC. Westport also is a indie hangout and has the equivalent of the buffalo exchange, an excellent brewery, and the Broadway Cafe - which put a Starbucks out of business.
- Thrift stores, the prices are what thrift store should have. Here, you can buy a thrifted dress for five dollars or under and such things as the dollar barrel exist.
- The city of fountains, the only city with more per capita is Rome.
- Shakespeare in the park, doesn't open until July.
- Riverfront Market
- KCAI and the surrounding museums, not part of the art institute chain as I previously suspected, the grounds seem worth looking through.
- The Plaza, an older part of town that has been remade into an expensive outdoor mall.

Joe gave me some info for an upcoming show, today I'm going to put together a poster for it and work on my zine.