Thursday, October 1, 2009

A very magical Friday

Okay, so this time I have a legit reason for being behind. Just as I catch up, something else happens and I forget to blog, but I promise the reason is good.

Thursday - Spent the day printing calenders and learning about layering inks. The calender I've been working on has 5 thick layers of ink and when there are large expanses (verses a small business card) of many layers of ink it is difficult to make sure they lay down smoothly.

While I was printing Brady was working on the Wilco poster and we had a good talk. We discussed printing, how he started Hammerpress, among other things. I don't think I asked too many questions and the ones I asked, he seemed to like to answer. I feel like I'm back in my niche at Hammerpress. We also talked about projects that are coming up and how the Heidelberg is making such a vast difference in his production abilities.

After work, I finished my illustration(still not happy with it) and waited for..... Adam!!! (Who was supposed to show up Wednesday, but delayed in Chicago) He didn't arrive until 10 or 11 at night, a little later that he'd originally planned, even after revising his schedule since Wednesday. He was very impressed with my living situation right from the start.

Friday I took off from work and showed Adam around town. I introduced him to the folks at Hammerpress, ate at Manny's, and gave him a short driving tour. We mostly hung around the West Bottoms though. It was a bit like a dream.

Adam loved the warehouses, I knew he would. He said I should write more about the West Bottoms in my blog, however I feel as though it is hard to write about. It is incredibly surreal, like out of a movie. Although, we foreign this it remains somehow familiar. Maybe I belong in this sort of scenario (my successes would provide proof to that effect), but it seems like walking around here has a sense of deja vous.

Anyway, the two of us stayed up until 4 in the morning or later. We wandered the West Bottoms both by bike and foot. We explored a warehouse and found some rotting stairs. Adam made some tuna on toast and he and I discussed how to best make tamales. It was an incredibly lovely evening that even held a midwest thunderstorm in store for us...

Adam only stayed until Saturday morning. He bid me farewell and I left for the farmer's market to prepare for the evening's events.

No comments:

Post a Comment