Monday, July 13, 2009

Champagne and couture

Thursday was Wendy's last day at work.

As for what I did, I printed the orange layer on the birthday card, took a package to Union Station to be mailed (more on that later) and then printed some large letters in black to be used as a banner for the Perceivers.

The Kansas City Union station is easily the most glamorous I've seen so far. It is situated in a large windowed building at the base of the WWI memorial. The windows are so large it looks like a Roman arch with glass and chandeliers hanging from the ceiling. Inside, the ceilings are all gold molding with two or three extravagant chandeliers hanging over a large marble foyer. A post office and some sort of children's museum/theatre are located in the building as well. I think if I were to work at a Post Office, the one inside Union Station would be as lovely as any.

Before Wendy went home for the day, Brady surprised her with champagne and cupcakes that Jen had made. If possible, the cupcakes were even better than the ones she'd made for my birthday...maybe it was the champagne that made a difference.

Wendy's daughter Lucy came to pick her up and we decided where we'd meet for the movie later that night (Wendy invited me to go to a movie with her and Lucy earlier in the week). The movie started at 7:15 in Westport and I agreed to meet them there.

After work, I drove out to Liberty to see Jared at his work for a while before it was time to meet Wendy and Lucy at the movies. I ended up being a few minutes late due to trouble finding the place. It ended up being hidden in a brick building whose facade said nothing about a theater.

The Tivoli is a little independent movie house with around five theaters that are playing things like "Food INC", "Every Little Step", and the movie we saw; "Valentino, the Last Emperor". The movie was surprisingly good. My original intention was to simply go for the company, but as it would turn out, Valentino live a very outlandish and exotic life. I didn't realise what does into a dress that he makes. There is no use of sewing machines and he has a team of ladies, who when he snaps his fingers, will produce a creation out of mid-air. The movie ended with Valentino's grand 45th anniversary party that took place in the Roman forum among ancient ruins and included entertainment that turned the Colosseum red.

Post movie, Wendy, her friend who met her at the theatre, Lucy an I went down the street to Harry's where I had a slightly overpriced, but delicious, flatbread pizza for dinner. We sat around for awhile sipping on drinks and talking about Kansas City.

The evening ended up being very enjoyable. Lucy was very nice and talkative, interested in my long distance relationship with Adam (she wondered how I fared). I think later in the fall I'll give her another call and we will hang out some more. Her 20th birthday is around the corner and I'd like to take her out to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment