Thursday, July 9, 2009

Phone calls and emails

Tuesday sucked beyond all suckage. I did get new bike tires and take a ride around the West Bottoms. I did talk to some friends, and had very good talks at that, but I felt incredibly weighed down by my calls to PNCA.

Hammerpress work was fine. Brady liked what I'd printed over the weekend and we will score it probably next week. He and Lindsay are working on a branding project with some of their friends who are setting up a restaurant business called "The Town Company". I spent the day typesetting different fonts and pulling proofs so that they could play around with the logo and set out from there. I did something else, but I can't remember what. Maybe I packaged stuff, because I don't think I printed anything else. Typesetting took so long there wasn't anyway I could have. Maybe if I blogged sooner this wouldn't happen....

Anyways, at lunch I called Rachel Allen. I'm at a loss of how to deal with this situation with Student Services. I feel like every time I talk to her I am met with distaste and dislike. This may or may not be the case, but the tone of one's voice does count for something, right? The whole business has been handled very badly, not just by her either. I shouldn't have gotten so upset when they told me, or maybe I should have vocalized my feelings in a different fashion, but where is the learning situation?

I feel like they okayed me to do the internship. Since that is the case, shouldn't they give me some time to move out then? When I moved in over a year and a half ago, the current R.A. needed some extra time to get her things together and I was asked to postpone my move in date till the fifteenth. I was still unpacking during the time that new students were moving in. This wasn't a huge issue, but new standards are being held. After I was notified of my not being re-hired, I had two weeks to move out, if I wanted to go before I left for my internship, one of which was finals week. I don't think it was crazy of me to ask for a few days upon my return from Kansas to get my things out.

Well my request was unacceptable, (I guess I can see how they wouldn't want a new R.A. to postpone his move in date, after all, they are trying to make this a legit program...), and so instead they offered 200 dollars worth of moving services. A generous offer, I will agree to that, they could be leaving me entirely high and dry. To get everything ready to go, my boyfriend has been having to pack up my entire apartment. Honestly, I don't think it is his business to do that, as he has his own duties and job to deal with, but he has been generous enough to agree to help.

I told Rachel over the phone that he has been "feverishly packing". She stopped by during apartment checks, and I guess she would not label the progress as feverish. Following that, I got an absurdly formal email telling me the terms that I've agreed to and what the ramifications of me not following through will be. I've worked for these people for two years. They are not formal - well unless they are taking sanctions or preparing to do so. I could be over reacting, as it was an email, but I am still confused.

I'm not going to flake out and just leave my stuff there cackling madly; "muahahaha! now you have to move it!". I don't know why this is such an issue. I believe have real reason to be having trouble moving as I am not going to be in Oregon on the move out date, and they knew this when they approved my internship. I'm not trying to screw student services over, really and truly. I might be frustrated with them, personally rightfully so, but they've worked with me long enough to know that I am a hard working, trustworthy person, or well... they should.

I have to go back to work, I'll write more later.

1 comment:

  1. Stop dealing with them when it comes to move out stuff. Just talk to who is moving in and see if they can wait. It is a PNCA person right? One of the new RAs?

    They are trying to force new rules with no regard to the past.

    ReplyDelete