Thursday, July 23, 2009

Majorly needed update - part uno

Okay, so I know that I owe some major blogging. It has been about a week and a half since I updated. I've been kept very busy, and the longer I postponed updating, the more I wanted to keep putting it off, but now I'm sitting in a hotel room with little else to do and I might as well make up for lost time.

Now where was I....

Sunday, July 12th - was a roomie hang out day. Originally I was going to work on my zine and illustration projects but Uriah dropped by and fixed the bike he'd given me. We cleaned the rust off the chain and he reassembled it so that an inaugural ride around the West Bottoms was due.

Joe and Uriah's friend Tyler joined us for a ride to the Kemper Arena, where we got booted by the typical, fat, lazy, security guard in a golf cart. While tempted to ride circles around him, we left in a respectful manner and headed to some of the sketchier, industrial places in the West Bottoms. We crosses two bridges and probably ended up riding ten to fifteen miles through various Bottoms sites before we tired.

Around sundown, we all decided our hunger was enough for cheap Mexican and the guys took me to the infamous Pancho's 24 hour burrito joint. There, we talked about girls and their crafty ways until Uriah's girlfriend Jenny called.

The evening was spent at Jenny's place, porching it and enjoying the night air. When Jenny and I fell asleep, it was time to go home.

Monday, July 13th - Tyler called and he came over for another Bottoms bike ride. Uriah and Joe were out, so it ended up being just the two of us. Tyler works for the airlines and therefore gets free flights out of KCI. We talked about the places we'd been and where we wanted to go until our stomachs rumbled. Somehow it came up that I'd never had K.C. barbecue, and Tyler insisted we rectify that.

There are two places in Kansas City that compete for the Kansas City title of BBQ Ruler - Oklahoma Joe's and Arthur Bryants. Oklahoma Joe's is more kitchy, located in a gas station and very popular with out-of-towners. Arthur Bryant's is more traditional restaurant style, but has been around longer. Tyler took me to Oklahoma Joe's.

I had the pulled pork, medium heat. Not impressed. I've had honest, backyard, grassroots, barbecue, and I imagine it is going to be hard to beat. ***sidenote - Carolina BBQ = vinegar and meat based vs. KC BBQ = sweet and sauce based.***

Tuesday, July 14th - Went to Hammerpress and worked on folding cards as well as the first layer of Brady's new Neko Case poster, for her show on Sunday, July 19th - done in all metallics with an Illustration by Matt. I don't remember what I did that night, but something tells me it included falling asleep early.

Wednesday, July 15th - Worked on the third layer of the Neko Case poster (Brady has done the second the previous night). I also packaged orders and cleaned up the shop.

After work I went to the rehearsal for my show that coming Sunday. Didn't I mention I was going to be in a show? No? Well, last month, Halliday and I went out to see a dance troupe called Two Gun preform. The silly person I am, said; "Hey! I can do that!" and volunteered to guest spot at their next show which happened to be Ex Post Facto.

I'd decided on a 1920's gangster themed act. On the previous Saturday, Halliday and I picked up my costume, Adam had mailed me my black wig and I was all but ready to go. The only thing I needed was music. The Ex Post Facto Show also included fashion designers, 30 plus models, and bands, in otherwords, the rehearsal was a feat of organization. I didn't need to do much, but it was good going and meeting everyone.

Post rehearsal, Ron paid me for my poster. Forty bucks! I know it isn't much, and certainly didn't cover the time I invested, but still, it was my first paid commission as a designer! Fourty bucks meant two for one burgers at the Brick. Halliday joined me and we didn't leave until late.

Thursday July 16th - was an interesting day at Hammerpress. Carla from PNCA showed up to ask for an intern position. Brady had never replied to her email. Taking the initiative, Carla decided to come in anyways. Brady's answer was "yes" and he set her up folding cards. I joined her for awhile before printing the first layer to some business cards on the treadle platen.

The evening was spent searching for better music (found it - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdAt4qWvz_8) and practicing my routine in my costume.

1 comment: