Sunday, August 30, 2009

On the blog again

Much has happened since I last wrote.

I drove the Oregon Trail, made some yard sale cash, saw friendly faces, and made some trouble here in K.C.

Before driving out from Poulsbo, my brother, his wife, and I had a yard sale. Lessons were learned and I will have to remember, Saturday is the most lucrative day. My brother took most of my money on Sunday as "dues" so I left early to pack for my trip.

Sunday night my good friend Tami and I met up for some navy bar escapades and in the early morn, my mom and I left for Kansas City.

Monday, August 24th
One month since the day I left Kansas City, I left Poulsbo. Monday I was sick from allergies and so I didn't drive much. The drive was the same one we took in May - Poulsbo to Bozeman. The Motel 8 had Golden Girls and I fell asleep watching them.

Tuesday, August 25
Bozeman, MT to Scott's Bluff, NE. The drive was much shorter. This time instead of crossing into the Dakotas, our trek took us south into Wyoming and from there into Nebraska. We met the Oregon Trail at Fort Laramie near the Nebraska border and followed it to our day's destination at Scott's Bluff.

We weren't purposely tracing the trail, but today's modern-day highway follows it because of the natural ease of the land - the very reason pioneers chose the route. Although coincidental, the historical part of it was the most exciting part about our trip.

In Fort Laramie, the rain was pouring hard enough we were unable look at the site (no umbrellas) although I did strike up enough courage to hike a short distance to Oregon Trail tracks that had been cut into solid rock. A mile or so away was Register Cliff, a cliff face (go figure) that contained the signatures of thousands in its side. There were many from the 1800's (the earliest I saw was from 1820), although sadly I saw one carved as recently as 2005. Near the tracks I found a very faded, but distinguishable signature from JR - 1888 next to a much larger and legible Sam and Peggy - 1979.

"The sandstone rocks near Guernsey .... Here, the trail ruts are not to be missed since they are carved into the stone. Some gouges are more than four feet deep! These deep ruts result from years of wagon wear and from intentional cutting by emigrants attempting to ease the steep passage up from the level river bottom to the High Plains. .... A short drive from the trail ruts back through Guernsey takes visitors to Register Cliff, .... Following a day’s journey from Fort Laramie, emigrants spent the night at Register Cliff and inscribed their names into the rock face. The earliest signatures date to the late 1820s when trappers and fur traders passed through the area, but most of the names visible today were carved during the 1840s and 1850s when the Oregon Trail was at its height. Today, visitors can walk along the cliff base to view the signatures up close."

Wednesday, August 26th
We started the day at Scott's Bluff National Monument. The fog was so thick nothing could be seen until we were upon it. Then the fog cleared to reveal a bright blue sky with the fog cloud hovering inbetween the towering rock formations of the bluff. It was awe inspiring to stand there were at one point a good 150 thousand plus people traveled through to the west. We walked the tracks from a few yards and then were on our way.

The second stop of the day was at Chimney Rock - another monument on the Oregon Trail. We arrived as the museum opened. I was surprised to find out that Chimney Rock is significantly shorter than it was when the pioneers rode by - I'd say maybe even 50 - 60 feet shorter.

We didn't stop at Courthouse Rock, but did at a Pony Express station. After said Station we booked it across the rest of Nebraska to Lincoln and from there to Kansas City. We arrived late in the night and rose again early to take my mom to the airport.

Thursday, August 27th, I slept. Oh, and started Travels with Charley

Friday, August 28th
I met Halliday and we went to a basement show where I oddly enough ran into a new hiree at Hammerpress. Eric, was hired to run the larger automatic platen presses by Brady and it is he who vies for my hours. I crushed him and then laughed at his remains. No not really, we laughed about our meeting and had a good time. He might come to the show on Tuesday at the Pistol.

Speaking of the Pistol. I should be cleaning it right now. Joe has lived here more or less alone for a month and it looks it. I need some air fresheners too. Uriah is moving out with his girlfriend Jenny. Lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment