Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Fall Fashions


It is that time of the year, fall. Granted the weather is still summery, but the best part of the wardrobe season is upon us.

Pumps are the shoe of the season (as opposed to flats in spring, boots in winter, sandals in summer) and the weather tolerates - possibly my most favorite article of clothing ever - sweaters. Nothing says fall like a pencil skirt, light sweater and cardigan.

The other benefit to fall is the weather can tolerate all of the layers that vintage dressing requires. Winter is too cold to worry about vintage trimmings - who can wear skirts when their legs are freezing? Summer is too hot and spring, well for whatever reason I just don't have the hankering, probably because most of my retro inspired clothing is for fall.

But back to fall fashions.

I love tights. Last season it was the trend to layer a solid color (say plum or burgundy) under a patterned black or brown. I loved this since it makes the wearer seem as though they are wearing fancy patterned tights, but in reality are playing a trick. Personally, the patterned tights are to delicate to wear alone anyway, so the second layer is not only insulating, but prevents easy tears in the decorative pair.

I'm not sure what the trend will be this year, and I doubt I actually find out anytime soon, since I don't watch the runways, am too poor to buy magazines, and don't have a Nordstrom near me (which is where I usually take my cues from).

I'm told plum is going to be in again, but you know - it seems like a remnant from last year that the consumer is enjoying more than a product out of the fashion scene. I have my bets on Mustard, Burnt Sienna, Navy Blue, Burgundy, and Cranberry. Mad Men has been a big fashion inspiration and so I think many of the colors will be drawn from the corporate palette of the sixties (which I believe is why we're seeing Burnt Sienna and Mustard). However, this year's earthy colors seem more subdued than last year's jewel tones - maybe a reflection of the economy?

I have much of my wardrobe now, although some items have been falling apart and are in need of replacement - my black wedges, flats, belt, etc - things I wear the most. Eventually I'll need tights because I'm bound to rip the pair I have, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I really want a pair of jedi/riding boots, but I don't have the calves to support them or maybe better said, I have too much calves to support them. Ah well.

p.s. I love those teal heels. I can't find them in teal in my size, however Zappos has them in black. Paycheck? Hmm, maybe savings....

2 comments:

  1. You'll be fabulous no matter what. Fashion changes. Who cares. Style is where it's at.

    (Says the girl who wears Hawaiian shirts her mother owned in 1989).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trends this season are actually quite horrible. Imagine the early 1990's threw up all of the worst things from the decade, and using those items you can be the supposed "chic" that is this season.

    ReplyDelete