Sunday, September 20, 2009

Movin' and Groovin'

Jen, from Hammerpress, and her boyfriend are moving in together and I thought I'd spread the moving help karma and volunteered my services.

Jen's old apartment is on the third floor of a stair entrance only building. I was wondering how I was going to work off eating at the pizza buffet the night earlier, but that problem was solved for me.

I arrived at noon and a half hour later another pair of Jen's friends joined the work force, followed by another couple an hour or so later. With the seven of us, it took maybe three hours to load everything up in the U-Haul and four cars. Car was brimming with art she'd collected from working at a frame shop, gallery, and of course Hammerpress.

It took maybe an hour to unload everything into her beautiful and expansive new place. Jen is living on the second floor of an old home on the corner of a lovely tree lined street. The kitchen is very large and has built in cabinets. There is a dining room with a rounded wall almost over take by windows, hardwood floors, and a Kansas City must - a porch.

After everything was finished we porched it - eating Papa Murphy's, drinking PBR and talking about Kansas City.

I said my goodbyes a little after 5 and came home to take a nap before preparing for a soiree.

After a nap, some non productive watching of Golden Girls, and going in circles with my redneck comps, I finally got ready for Madeline's (the woman who runs the zine around here) 30th birthday party.

The invite said black tie, so I dressed up in my black pencil skirt, gold tank top (with sequin trim), red shimmery cardigan, and my new fabulous black sequin barrett. Even before I arrived at the party I received many compliments from some wedding guests next door. (Speaking of wedding, it was all vintage themed and they had ribbon dancers, the type that hang from the ceiling, as entertainment)

When we arrived, many people had not followed the invite's orders and were dressed very casually. However, a few people, like Halliday, did dress up and looked great.

We partied late and I ended up staying over and cooking a breakfast of my go-to spicy potatoes. They went over well.

Anyways, it was a great birthday party, and a wonderful Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment