Saturday, September 12, 2009

Week in Review - Greaserama

Saturday, September 5th

Greaserama. My first rockabilly car show, long overdue. Finally I had a chance to dress up vintage and not be the only one. It took place at Boulevard Drive-in, the same one where I'd seen Inglorious Bastards.

Saturday, I met up with Halliday and we went to Greaserama. Our objective was to arrive by one pm, but we more realistically arrived at two.

I looked smashing. I know I'm saying so myself, but if one can gauge by other's reactions, I stand correct in my opinion. I wore a brown pencil skirt with blue top - red cropped cardigan and gold 1940's-ish wedges. My hair was styled, not to perfection as it has been awhile since I've done rolls, but to satisfaction.

Halliday and I were asked four times to pose with people's cars/each other.

We listened to all of the bands (one an hour between 2:30 and seven) and roamed the lines of cars. There were a few things I was surprised about:

The first being the number of pimped out bicycles. There was almost a whole section dedicated to bikes. Since people were coming from as faraway as California, there was a large camp out section and the bikes overflowed the grass of the area and were interspersed through out the cars. All of the bikes were vintage of course, but it was surprising to see none the less.

The second was the number of families and lack of singles. Almost everyone attending was a family. There were a number of small children ranging from babies to pre-teens. There were almost no ladies not with their man and a few more, but still small amount of men came with out their lady.

The third, and most surprising of the surprises was how few women were dressed up. There were some, but when I say maybe a dozen, I wouldn't be exaggerating. Sure - there was plenty of red lipstick and bandannas, but most women were in jeans and tennis shoes. For some reason I expected there to be more pinups. Maybe I follow too many vintage forums online, but I expected this would be the sort of event where ladies would do their hair and wear adorable dresses/retro fashions. If there is any place to look glamorous, it is at a rockabilly get-together.

About six, Terry, Halliday's friend joined us and just after the last band played we grabbed some Mexican food before parking our car for the night's movies.

The movies were incredibly odd and I fell asleep.

When I arrived home, Joe was downstairs at the Ship (the speakeasy in the basement). It was a rare opening of the joint and Joe introduced me to the folks lounging around. Oddly enough Brady was there with his girlfriend.

Champagne was poured and free drinks offered, an excellent opening to Greaserama.

No comments:

Post a Comment