Thursday, September 3, 2009

Museums and jobs

Guess who is in town?

If you guessed my old friend Adam Poolman, you'd be correct (and if you guessed his roommates Kurt and Cody - bonus points).

I woke up and wasted time listening to an audio book until I got a call from Adam. He invited me to meet him and the fellas at the Nelson-Atkins museum and then hangout from there. As I've never been to the Nelson-Atkins andit is very near the plaza (which is where I needed to do more job application rounds) it was like hitting two birds with one stone. We agreed to meet up at 1:45.

The Nelson Atkins is Kansas City's largest and best art museum, well maybe not best, but most classic. Surprisingly, it is free with a suggested "donation" box at the entrance, which I didn't see til I left, so it was free.

The collection was impressive, well for what I expected there to be. The layout was excellent; a literal floorplan of art history smoothly transitioning from one movement to the next - starting in ancient egyptian and ending in cubist/modernist.

The four of us probably spent three hours looking through the museum, mostly focusing on the first floor and the American art section of the second. My favorite pieces were on the second - one called "Brutality" then a selection of works by Thomas Hart Benton - oh and this one was great too, but then I'm totally digging cowboy art right now.

I left Adam and Co. around four because I was a mix of staving and in need of picking up applications. I hit the Gap, J.Crew, Anthropologie, and Urban Outfitters; all in the Plaza. All I did was look smashing, introduce myself to some managers and collect applications.

Originally, I had planned on meeting back up with Adam for dinner, but I was so hungry, I couldn't wait and instead visited Halliday at Teadrops and ate a salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment