Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Case of the Missing Teapot

Saturday started out with me attempting to brainstorm an idea for the variety show in July. I tried to get somewhere, although between Buffy and the growing heat, I didn't. A few sketches were my pathetic result.

Around noon, Cali came back from escapades about town and told me about an up and coming young designer Monkey Wrench Clothing (http://www.monkeywrenchclothing.com/). Cali, being a designer herself, had traded a swimsuit for an adorable dress, right up my alley. I decided to get out of the house and drive toward Crown Center to check out the lady's booth.

Should it have not been raining, the plaza outside Crown Center would have been filled with people celebrating Kansas City Chalk and Walk Festival. However, the downpour had reduced the participants to a soggy smattering. Monkey Wrench Clothing occupied three of the, maybe, seven tents set up outside. I found the clothing to be fabulous, expertly crafted, and just my style. There were few dresses that I would have liked, but none in my size. In the end, the designer took my measurements and agreed to make me a custom dress in a teal gingham print. It pays to be in with local designers.

As it was lunch time, I headed back in Crown Center to search out some grub. Crown Center is built by Hallmark and includes a giant Hallmark store, go figure, Crayola store, as well as a small amount of second tier stores. The only large name I saw other than the previously mentioned was Victoria's Secret. The design is over done and in the end looks like a food court at a theme park. Also, the shopping area is carpeted and in my opinion, that always makes a mall look dirty verses welcoming.

The one thing Crown Center does have is food. There were at least a dozen places worth looking into for a quick bite. The one place that finally claimed my cash, was Fritz's. Fritz's is unique because your food is delivered by train and then conveyed via a weight sensitive contraption straight on to your table. It was probably the coolest hamburger I've ever eaten. Cheap too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDeYFZV4xKE&feature=related)

Come 8ish, Halliday and I went out to the Infoshop, a small venue/used bookstore that reminded me of a place back in Bremerton. I think the claim to fame there, other than shows, is their zine collection. It was extensive, massing together all of the underground zines that Kansas City has produced and any the proprietors could/can get their hands on.

There probably weren't more than 30 people at the show, but because of the small size, that was perfect. Everyone was dancing and getting into the groove. It was wicked hot, but worth staying inside for the atmosphere.

I got a free tank top from Modie Bones, a local guy just starting up, met some neat guys from the Intolerants (from Portland, http://www.myspace.com/theintolerantsband) and ended the night with great, slightly rockabilly, rocking from the Muddy Udders (http://www.myspace.com/muddyuddersband). I offered the Intolerants a place to stay at the Pistol and some dinner if they wanted it, and they took me up on it. Halliday and I showed them the way back around 1:30 after an excellent show.

Back home I started cooking dinner (the Intolerants supplied an apple pie) and Joe pulled me aside. Foundations was hosting a show with three touring bands and Joe had agreed to watch the door. Things led to other thing (purposefully being elusive) and a teapot with two thousand dollars went missing.

Needless to say, drama went down. Halliday left, a chair or two got thrown (Foundation's owner and not at anyone), trash cans were turned inside out, the Intolerants questioned (that made me angry), and the Pistol searched until four am when I told Joe to go to bed - if the teapot was still in the Pistol, it would be in the morning. The touring bands left angry and without being paid.

I took control and had to force the issue of sleep and in the end, that is what happened (I did too after some more Buffy).

Sunday

I awoke the next morning at eleven, and helped the Intolerants get their things together while profusely apologizing. When they left, I looked around the Pistol and all I saw was a mess. There were no clean dishes, a mountain of them in the sink, cat hair and dust threatening to over take the living room, and the actual Pistol still had not been cleaned up since the Sodafest. With a call into Uriah, 12:30 was the start time of what would become known as the deep clean.

For five hours, Uriah and I did every possible cleaning task we could think of without busting out power tools. I sweated to the Hearts of Darkness practicing while I sweeped out the Pistol and rearranged furniture. As I attacked a couch, I found what we'd been looking for. A little china teapot stuffed with money.

The rest of the day included resting (with Buffy), going grocery shopping with Uriah, a nap, and going on an uber long night bike ride with Uriah and his friend Jared. Multiple people commented on how nice the Pistol looked.

*Neat foot note: Jared has a pool and invited me to go swimming. Finally, water!

Monday

Again, I attempted to work on the poster, but 100 degree heat made me start feeling sick. I think I'm going to carry around a gallon jug for drinking water, I need it.

At seven I had a member's meeting at the Arts INKubator. We talked about how to turn some space into a store and how to promote the press best on first Fridays.

I came home, went for a short ride, and finished season three Buffy. What will I do now?

I need to figure out a way to work at the Pistol, the crazy heat thing is making it so I am incredibly unproductive.

I posted this from the Arts INKubator, and I might make a habit of coming down here to cool off for a few hours every night.

OH! p.s. the coolest thing happened last night. Joe's friend Kyle found an old suitcase full of vintage items from the 20's-1940's from a guy named Carl. Some awesome finds included: school notebooks, a school paper, vintage valentines, love letters, telegrams, and drawings. I traded him some Hammerpress for a few key items.

1 comment:

  1. I'm getting to the end of season 3 faster than I want to. Duh duh duuuhn!

    ReplyDelete