Sunday, June 14, 2009

Lowrida

Saturday day I woke up to amazingness. Cali, who crashed at the Pistol the night before. had cooked breakfast; biscuits and gravy, possibly my favorite breakfast ever. She complimented it with donuts from Consentinos, a high class grocery downtown. Since I rarely cook breakfast food, it may very well have been the best breakfast I've had in months.

Meanwhile, Zack, the guy downstairs was setting up for his lowrider car show. He set up a tent for food and grilling burgers as the first few cars arrived. Foundations set up Joe's speakers and they blared hip hop mixed with a little N'sync, odd I thought, but apparently Justin Timberlake is the sound of the streets.

Except for a few, most guys arrived in groups, their car clubs, with names like "Ghetto Dreams" and "Kool Whips". They would drive to the end of the street, revved up and do a little show turn before driving back and parking in a line.

Not all of the cars were tricked out, but most of them. The cars had a running theme of matching paint jobs with interior and even the air freshener. For example, if the car was red with white details, the inside would be red with white details and a cherry air freshener. Some guys had blatant paint jobs, like the dude with a bright orange and blue car or the guy with "KC" stenciled all over his, and some had subtle paint jobs. One man had a car that looked plain maroon from my window, but up close had an intricate Victorian style design all over the body.

They hung out with their coolers and grills until sundown.

At 8:30 Halliday and I left to go to an Apocalypse themed Burlesque show. If you showed up with out costume it cost eight bucks, with, only five. We both costumed it up and ended up being the most dressed up there, however, that was fine since we got many compliments on our outfits. I wore my black dress and leggings with a leather vest from Halliday's line, and she wore an outfit from her new collection that she'll be showing in July.

The ladies were funny and preformed well with skits about zombies, Tank Girl, and the Army of Darkness. While were were there, the man in charge of Halliday's next show, the one in July, was talking about posters and I offered to create one for him. He accepted and it should be a huge gig. This poster will be seen around town, everywhere. He needs to provide me with some specs and I can get going on it.

Halliday and I dropped by Grinders, a burger place, before heading home. There was show happening at Foundation, but I opted out. All in all it was an interesting day with a bunch of new things seen and ending in myself feeling very much like myself, which is something I haven't felt in awhile.

1 comment:

  1. Who says no to free art?

    At first I thought you had a very weird tan line. Heh.

    ReplyDelete