Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fashion and lightning

Most of Saturday morning was spent working on my zine entries. I finished them and emailed the pages to Madeline, the zine producer. After seeing one of the local zines in a bike shop, I decided I could do whatever I want and that would be sufficient. There wasn't any particular rhyme or reason to the content. My end product was a pair of simple collaged illustrations depicting faux saints, Saint Simeon - the patron saint of broken hearts, and Saint Katherine - the patron saint of contempt. I'm not sure how they'll be presented, but really, the point was to contribute, I'm not too picky how they turn out.

I did take a break around 11 at which point Uriah came home and rounded me up to go bike shopping. He'd found a bike yard sale with some affordable finds. As we arrived, my perfect bike was being rode away with a baby in the basket, a Schwinn 3 speed with basket and fenders. Alas. I looked around and found another Schwinn, brick red, with a basket and fenders, but no gears. If I'd been in Portland, I'd probably have gone home with it, but if I'm this far away and am going to buy a bike to take home, I want a ride with gears that would make it possible for me to get myself up a hill.

Out of the twenty or so bikes, there were only two (including the red one) that fit me. It turns out that most bikes are too tall for my short stature. Neither had gears, so I went home empty handed. Uriah scored with two bikes for 20 and 5 dollars respectively. We hit up the bike shop to get him some new tires and then came home.

About five I headed to Sunfresh to get ingredients for lemon squares and promptly got lost. Not too badly, but it was a good thing I gave myself some time to get there. The lemon squares were rushed since time was crunched to be at the fashion show. When I left I thought I'd botched the squares up. In the end, looking back I just didn't cook them for long enough. I also forgot the top poofs up before settling down to be delicious and smooth.

The fashion show was set up in the middle of 18th street, with a long runway running from one end to the other with a sheet of L.E.D. light covered fabric shielding the "backstage" from view. Obviously the road was closed off and people crowded in to stand as close as they could. Crowd run off went into the surrounding buildings and hung out windows or stood on the roof.

The theme of the evening was Summer in Space and each designer was to interpret the theme how they deemed. I missed the first two collections, which were only five pieces each, but I got there in time to see Halliday's creation walk down the runway on a green alien model. After bullying my way to where she and some friends were perched, I watched the rest of the show in somewhat comfort balancing on a director's chair.

The collections that I can remember off hand were
* Super Nova - a bright group of 60's-ish style dresses
* Oblivion - also dresses but immaculately made, unified with a corset top theme (also had the best models, many of the models didn't have a clue how to walk down a runway)
* I can't remember the name of the designer but her outfits morphed into other outfits
* Peggy Noland - an 18th street institution whose designs were something out of Playhouse Disney
* Birdies - the 18th street lingire store who used plastic bubble helmets (what I would have done), but not to their best advantage

Joe showed up near the end and helped Halliday take her things to her car. Since she was headed home, I decided to hit up the potluck at Bobby's even though I was running a bit late. When I arrived the potluck was winding down, but folks were still there. I brought some beer as a token and replacement to the botched lemon squares.

The reason for the potluck was Bobby's roommate Dave's birthday. Dave used to work at Hammerpress, but after many months of only working Saturdays he decided to call it quits for a bit. I also met a fellow Illustrator named John. John graduated about a year ago from KCAI and has been making a living as a full time Illustrator ever since. He says his work load goes up and down like a rollercoaster, but is enough to get his bills paid. The keys to working as an illustrator, as John has found, is promoting one's self in every avenue possible and finding a work method that produces work quickly but good enough a person can live with it.

I only stayed for about two hours since by the time midnight rolled around I was one of the last people left. I drove home and intended to go to bed, but an insane lighting storm brought me outside. Joe said it was heat lighting and it probably went on for about half an hour before any rain came.

I know I am in the midwest, but it feels very east to me, the lightning was certainly a midwestern experience.

*and now for a historical side note.
I was snooping around on the internet and found some history on the West Bottoms:

"The West Bottoms was originally referred to as the “French Bottoms”. It was the site of trade between French trappers and Kansas Indians. The area was established by the trappers as an area of commerce. The West Bottoms became the receiving point for goods offloaded from steamships traveling upstream on the Missouri river due in part of the western immigration and trade with Mexico over the Santa Fe Trail. The importance of the area increased with the advent of the railroad. The stockyards (established in 1871) then chose to develop there because of the livestock that came in from the Southwest over the rails. A whole city grew around the stockyards.

The Union Depot was built on Union Street where hotels, bars and restaurants flourished. Over 90 percent of the value in Kansas City lay in the West Bottoms. A devastating flood in 1903 ended the investment in housing, schools and churches. However, the agricultural, meat packing, freight and industrial investments continued to grow. By then the rule of thumb was clearly established namely the economic vitality of the city was determined by the economic progress of the West Bottoms.

The stockyards flourished through the 1940s and at its peak only the Union Stock Yards in Chicago were bigger. During World War II Darby Steel Corporation built most of the Landing Craft Tanks (LCTs) that were used in various amphibious invasions. The plant built one craft a day and floated them more than 1,000 miles down the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers to New Orleans, Louisiana prompting their “Prairie Ships” nickname. Darby’s plant at the mouth of the Kansas River could hold eight 135i LCTs and 16 LCMs (Landing Craft Mechanized) in various stages of development.

With economic hard times the West Bottoms took a drastic hit. The first economic blow came with the ending of World War II. There were over 20 thousand jobs lost when the extensive military construction in the city suddenly ceased. The second economic blow came in 1951 with a major flood. Packing companies and supportive industries moved out of the area and many closed their doors forever. The combination of these two events was cataclysmic.

There were 50,000 jobs lost in the span of 5-6 years and the city was half the size it is now. With the job loss people stopped shopping downtown. With the economic downsizing the city slipped and was unable to save itself and collapsed. Because the city’s tax base crumbled it could no longer maintain its streets, bridges or engage in meaningful investments.

In 1974 Kansas City and the American Royal tried to reclaim the stockyards by building Kemper Arena. The stockyards biggest heritage is the annual 6-week American Royal agricultural show held each October and November at Kemper Arena. Kemper Arena was also the site of the 1976 Republican National Convention where Gerald Ford was nominated for President. Along with the building of Kemper Arena there have been many buildings constructed and several multi-million dollar companies have set up shop in the West Bottoms area. This redevelopment has begun to attract upscale and artistic tenants to redevelop buildings and helping reestablish the West Bottoms area." - from westbottoms.com