Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sodafest

On Friday, I probably printed 600 things. I finished the poster I'd been working on all week by adding the final layer, a dark blue. I learned how to do some fine tuning adjustments to the grippers for precise registration. More than enough needed turned out well, although I've certainly learned how important holding the paper down to the timpin is.

Next, I printed a bunch of cd inserts and by bunch, I'm pretty sure there were 400. Those two projects comprised my day with some studio cleaning interspersed throughout.

When I arrived home, there were surprises to be found. The nicest was a care package from my momma, stuffed with goodies like dried mangos and tax returns. The other surprise was a group of guys who call themselves "Chomp Whomp" decorating the two venues. The Pistol was strung with lights and had balloons across the floor. Foundations was festooned with hundreds of streamers.

"Chomp Whomp Sodafest" - a giant show put on by a group of guys from Lawrence, Kansas. It included fourteen bands playing on two stages, free food, soda, and live artists painting.

Joe and I took a ride across the tracks before people started arriving. A daily bike ride, after work, has become a nice little habit.

Due to the heat I fell asleep and missed 5 or so bands (No ear plugs, go me!). I awoke to a raging crowded Pistol. According to Cali, who collected money at the door, she estimated 300 - 350 people came. In the end, each band and Cali were paid 80 dollars, and each venue gained 250 - The admission price was five dollars. Since the Pistol has no Air Conditioning and Foundations seems like it doesn't with that many people, it was an impressive turnout, a crazy party that lasted until easily 3 or 4 in the morning.

The bands kind of melded together for me, but the BLEACHBLOODZ (http://www.myspace.com/bleachbloodz) who I'd seen at the first show, played and they know how to give a good live performance. Most of the crowds just stood with their arms crossed, but the BLEACHBLOODZ gets people involved. The artists set up in foundation were pretty interesting. A bunch of them had giant canvases set up and were painting large graffitiesc murals. One guy had some woodcut prints for sale on a table. As everyone was packing up I offered him six dollars for one and he took me up on it. They'd been originally priced at eight.

I needed some Buffy to help lull me to sleep, then I passed out.

* Appendix
So I know I haven't been updating on schedule. The reason being mostly due to the fact I wake up at nine instead of eight, which doesn't give me enough time to write my day up. I am trying to rectify the situation. In otherwords, look for daily posts again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment