Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The heat smothered me in my bed

I meant to finish my post last night, but I came home and just plain passed out. I think my brain was fried a little from the humidity.

Anyway back to Monday night and then I'll sum up Tuesday.

The Power and Light District is a large outdoor complex that hold a great deal of bars and restaurants. There is a plaza with a fountain that bands play from time to time. If Pacific Place, in Seattle, was outdoors and just the food court section, you'd have the Power and Light District. It is a contrived meeting place that has locals either loving it or hating it. Come to think of it, downtown Disney has a similar vibe, but with out the shops , take that how you will.

P & L takes the place of parking lots and old buildings that were coming into disuse. I've said before that Kansas City is going through a revitalization phase, Power and Light was an attempt to bring people to a downtown that once wasn't used after five and business was finished. It is a modern move and happening across America, not just here, but Joe mentioned that any local color that was there, has been lost.

AMC has headquarters in Kansas City, but until Power and Light, didn't have a theater to match. Now they do. I didn't expect anything unusual when I went, the theater on Main was the only one I'd seen. Stepping inside, I knew something was different. First I was greeted with a two or three story entry, giant chandelier and marble-like floors with famous movie quotes set within. Although it was the seat assignment that said I was someplace different. A symphonic hall would have made more sense for the atmosphere. A full scale bar and restaurant added to the effect. The theater itself was probably the largest I've ever been in, and had a screen to match. Everything was very classy, and except for the screen in front of me, if you'd shown me the room otherwise I would not have guessed it was for movies.

Up was good, I agree with Trillian's review so I'll post it here: "Up was a really wonderful movie. A wonderful little story about an old man attaching balloons to his house and traveling to South America to fulfill his late wife's desire for adventure. There were talking animals and large birds and plenty of heartfelt moments that were not overwrought in the slightest. Highly recommended!" The only thing I'd add, is the dogs flying planes were a little much, then again, how else was the guy supposed to have a fighter squad?

Tuesday, June 2nd
I spend yesterday in a very hot and very muggy Hammerpress putting together rep packages. Lame. Brady apologized, but stressed the importance and money they'll bring when finished. On Thursday he is going to take Wendy and I out for drinks, or at least buy drinks and bring them to us, in exchange for our diligent efforts.

Thunderstorms were on the horizon all day long, and it finally rained around 2, dramatically cooling the air off. Last night was almost cold.

The evening was spent at Halliday and Danielle's. Danielle is part of a potluck group that meets every other Tuesday at rotating houses, it was her turn to host. Alas, this weekend she broke her wrist, so I helped her make sweet potato fries and finish her cake. A large group of people arrived, probably twenty or so. The food was excellent and Halliday's spring rolls were a hit. The sweet potato fries could have used more garlic.

Around ten I bowed out and meant to come home and finish this blog and Joe's poster, but Flora and I bedded down to a short nap that turned into a night's sleep.

Now Flora is meowing outside my door, probably wanting to come shed on me. Tonight, the Pistol hosts the first show of my stay. We'll see how that goes.