Thursday, June 4, 2009

Perennial wallflower

I'm a little embarrassed for how last night turned out.

I felt awkward, and in the end both hid in my room and sulked on the edge of the crowd. I should have done what I've been doing elsewise, just dive right in and socialized, but maybe the combination of having my room to hide in and the daunting task of approaching a well knit group were too much for me. I bowed out around midnight, and only the second band had played by then. I'm kind of running out of things to say. How far does "How did your day go?" and "Are you from Kansas City?" go?

I need to rethink my plan of attack. If I'm going to make the most out of this, I can't sulk when there are shows at my house. It isn't too late to redeem myself, I just have to overcome last night. Maybe next time I'll cook food for the band or something to get me more involved. These people are friendly, I just don't know what to say. However, this summer is a summer of changes and social awkwardness is something I'm ready boot out the window.

A genuine smile goes a long way. If you feel awkward and act awkward, people pick up on it and treat you as such. Remember that Karen.

Not much happened yesterday. Work entailed more packaging and a little printing. I stayed late to finish some boxes, but in the end only almost finished them.

The show was interesting, but like I said, I took the social scenario entirely the wrong way and completely bombed. I could have enjoyed it a lot more. The music was good, but I was in the wrong mindset to really appreciate it.