Monday, June 29, 2009

Up close with lightning bugs

Sunday morning I did a whole lot of nothing. I read some books and did some emailing.

Finally, I decided if I didn't get out of the apartment I was going to go crazy. I drove towards the Plaza, and stopped at the World War I memorial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Memorial) . The park was almost empty and so I had the monolith and surrounding grounds to myself. The National WWI Museum, as dedicated by Congress, is under the memorial, and I missed it being open by half an hour. It seems that this is the largest WWI memorial in America. Funny, why is it in Missouri? The 1929 dedication says; "for those who fought in the World War". At the time, one probably could not image what would have passed 20 years hence the date. "World War I is (one of) the most forgotten of this nation’s wars, yet it sowed the seeds of World War II, and as noted, it marked the emergence of the United States as a global power, and as a defender of democratic allies against forces of totalitarianism and aggression. "

I waded in the fountain outside for a few minutes before going up to the main memorial and climbing on the blind seraph-lions. The view from the top is magnificent, and I hung out there for awhile, just thinking. What am I doing?

After the WWI memorial, I drove to Barnes and Noble, where I read magazine and books until I got antsy and left. I did find a neat idea for a sketchbook made out of paint samples. I am going to attempt to make a dozen or so to sell at the zine symposium.

Back at the Pistol, Joe, Tara, and Zack (Zack and Tara run the screenprinting shop downstairs) were hanging out while Uriah and his band practiced upstairs. I chilled with Joe and the crew until Uriah and co. were done. Jared plays the drums in Uriah's band and after practice he invited me to go swimming at his house.

Jared's home is about twenty minutes out from the West Bottoms. He lives with his parents, sister, brother-in-law and nephews. They all pooled together to buy a home that was large enough they could all make it home and it happened to come with a pool. We waded around for a hour or so before getting out and going on a walk.

Jared happens to live near a small wooded area that includes a pond and trails for walking. If one knows anything about lightning bugs, one knows these are the sorts of things they love (woods and water, not necessarily trails for walking). The lightning bugs were out in abundance. Jared was telling me his some of his childhood stories and I admit I was a bit distracted by watching the blinking bugs. They look like little floating L.E.D. lights. At one point on our walk, we were an audience to a lightning bug show spectacular, glimmering over a mini meadow.

Jared caught one and gave it to me to hold. Apparently, lightning bugs are very friendly and let you hold them as they scurry across your hand and blink. My lightning friend and I bonded for a good fifteen minutes until he got bored and flew away. Around one or so I said goodnight and headed home.

Oh, did I say I went to the video store for Buffy season four? Well I did and started watching it before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment