Thursday, June 18, 2009

Turning the fan on full blast

Tuesday

The day started off with wedding invites, 400 of them to be exact. When one goes to Brady for wedding invites, not only do they have it created, but stamped and assembled ready to be addressed and mailed. Thus the morning of Tuesday was spent preparing wedding invites to be picked up later that morning.

Should it have been just one person, the job would have easily taken two days to complete. However with three, Jen, Wendy and I, it was surprisingly easy. We finished just after lunch.

For lunch Brady bought me an amazing taco and side of rice, in return I (stupidly?) volunteered to make lunch on Thursday (that way Wendy could join us as well). I think I'll make my traditional stirfry, that way I know I won't poison anybody.

After the wedding invite assemblage marathon Brady had me set up the press to do a promotional piece for a local design firm, they designed the image, we will print it. There were around 300 (although I only go to 200 or so) white layers to print before I bounced for the evening.

A couple came in just before five and recorded an interview with Brady and then about a minute's worth of me printing. I think I was on the nine o'clock news.

The evening held another show at the Pistol, Prince Rama (http://www.myspace.com/princeramaofayodhya), Witch and Hare, as well as a couple kids who were touring with Prince Rama were set up to play, the Nature Boys backed out an hour or so before the show.

Right after I got home, I took a bike ride over to the American Royal arena and explored the grounds a bit more thoroughly. When I felt like I was going to melt into the pavement, I took it as a sign that I should head home. I arrived just in time to see Prince Rama pile out of their van. I helped them unload their stuff into the freight elevator and then joined Cali to help her make dinner.

Cali had shown up just before my bike ride and was intending on preparing some pasta. However, when Joe and Halliday told her they were making curry for the band, she was worried her food would go to waste. I assured her otherwise and together we ate the pasta with pesto shrimp. Cali spoils us every time she come over. She said she is going to be staying at the Pistol this weekend (there is a giant show on Friday). I plan to turn the tables and make her dinner.

The show was good and the bands friendly. I'd review the music as organized noise, but people got into it and were dancing all over the place. Prince Rama laid out various shakers for the audience to play and everyone did. Audience participation which is what makes a show worth while. Good bands know this and in the end, the sound can sometimes be irrelevant.

oh, did I mention on Monday I saw a car made up to look like a giant fiberglass sub sandwich?

Wednesday

More printing! I worked further on the piece for the design firm, finishing the white layer and laying down the second, a turquoise blue.

Actually, I learned alot about printing yesterday, I would say I even leveled up. Among other things; I learned that if on is going to make a full sized poster that is in need of tight registration, one should hold down the piece of paper tightly to the timpin, as far as one is able, because a light hold will make a large difference in alignment (Chaotic good instead of chaotic evil).

Post blue layer, I finished the red layer on my alphabet poster, making a total of around five hundred prints for the day. Granted, that is nothing compared to Brady, but a personal best for me. I believe I will have a bicep when I return (just one though).

The evening was intended to be full of lunch cooking and poster mock-up preparing, but the minute I stepped out of Hammerpress' air-conditioned goodness, I was knocked over by a heat wave aimed at my existance. Instead, I passed out after a short bike ride and slept until it was cool enough to breathe - at which point I woke up to watch some Buffy.

No comments:

Post a Comment