Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thrifting madness

Thursday started out with laying down layer three of the poster, a bright green color. However that was all the printing to be done.

Right now Brady is building a new wall in the front of the shop to section it off from the studio, it would seem there have been too many prying eyes wandering too close to the presses. Because of all the noise and mess, there really wasn't time to set up another project.

Instead, I helped Wendy put together a very large order as well as assemble a huge pile o' cards so we are not packaging them as they are bought. To get a card together one must fold it around an envelope and slide it into a cellophane bag. From what I am told, all letterpress cards are packaged this way, by hand, although many large producers outsource to assembly workers. Brady is thinking of going that way to save time for more important things.

I came home to find Halliday working in her studio. Originally we'd planned a night of Rockabilly together, but she needed to finish an order and it was a bit too muggy to get dressed up. Instead I plopped down for some Slayage.

An episode or two of Buffy later, Joe stated that he was in need of some new pants, and "did we want to go thrifting?" When one does not bring enough clothes to wear the answer is always "hellz yeah!". The three of us piled in my car and drove twenty or so minutes north to Smithville, where the "good" thrifting is.

The first stop was not a thrift store but some genius place called Quik Stop where the .49 cent, thirty-six ounce soda is alive and kicking. I splurged and bought one for each of us.

The second stop was another DAV and yet again I was pummeled with excellent prices. I found:
* two dresses
- one red wrap with white feathers, it had shoulder pads, but I pulled them out
- the other a 1950's-like sleeveless number with a yellow and green tropical print
* a black looped belt
* bright pink bloomers with lace and hand sewn bumblebees (1.98)
* a blue and white striped shortsleeve cardigan
* a purple v-neck knit top
total: 21 dollars and change

The last place we hit, because it was getting late and stores were closing was the Salvation Army. My memories of the S.A. are of ratty shelves lined with plastic toys, a few sad racks of clothing and lamps that had died in some 70's reality and returned from beyond the grave. In Bremerton S.A. is a place to go for cheap furniture, not clothes.

This one was not the case. It was packed, overflowing, with clothes. Upon initially walking in, I became overwhelmed and didn't know where to start. I eventually navigated myself to the dresses, but they were mostly 80's styles and the nurse's uniform that could have looked nice dyed, draped funny around my hips. I didn't look very hard through the tops because there were too many to get my head around. After prying myself off an amazing leather jacket, I did find two shirts in the kid's section.
* Orange shirt with number 10 and yellow softball shirt from kids rack
total: 1.50 - green tags were half price.

I don't think there is an item of thrifted clothing in the entirety of Washington and Oregon that is originally priced at a dollar. I left a bit speechless.

As it was nine and all the stores were closing, the three of us went out in pursuit of food. We probably spent an hour trying to decide where to eat until I finally threw down the law and drove us to some Mexican. I did find out that Godfather's Pizza still exists out here and I will have to have some before I leave. It is my very favorite pizza, the only place that makes the crust correctly.

After dinner we drove home and I watched some more Buffy before bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment